the Pfeiffer Pfiles Presents....the Art Work of Artist Fred Pfeiffer

Fred Pfeiffer was an American Artist
He worked as an Illustrator out of N.Y.N.Y. and
L.A. CA. in the late 60's thru the 70's and into the 80's

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fred Pfeiffer : the Sword of the Golem - 1973

by Abraham Rothberg
This is the weirdest, most "out there" cover
that Fred ever did. This cover is Farout!
For me it's really interesting. So much of it
screams Pfeiffer. As was stated in the comments
of another post here by Rob, Fred would cut and use
materials for different effects. This cover looks like there
was some masking and experimenting going on. The end
result is a cover unlike any I have ever seen before.


I wonder what Mr. Rothberg thought of this cover.
It's bright and popping and had to stand out on the rack.
It did it's job as I wanted to read the book and got a few chapters
into it before I laid it down for something else. Such is life with too many
books to read.  This book shows up in internet searches for Fred. There are several
others that do as well and I have decided to get them in the blog and move on to
others that don't and wont until they are featured in the Pfeiffer Pfiles.
SP

1 comment:

Courtney Rogers said...

You don't see a cover like this everyday! It certainly is very colorful and imaginative.

I rmember finally breaking down and buying this book off of eBay, then finding it in a used book store a week later!

This cover also reminds me of the 1980's DC Shadow comic books by Bill Sienkiewicz. The last issue before being abuptly cancelled had the Shadow having his head attached to a large robot body. Very, very bizarre.

While this cover is bizarre, I like it!

As Scotty has said, this was one of a very small number of known Pfeiffer covers before I started my own search.