the Pfeiffer Pfiles Presents....the Art Work of Artist Fred Pfeiffer

Fred Pfeiffer was an American Artist
He worked as an Illustrator out of N.Y.N.Y. and
L.A. CA. in the late 60's thru the 70's and into the 80's

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Fred Pfeiffer : Doc Savage - the Spook Hole - 1972

by Lester Dent / Kenneth Robeson 1935 / 1972
this was # 70 in the Bantam Paperback reprinting
of the Doc Savage pulps.

Pfeiffer turns in one of his most compelling Doc covers
Almost impressionist in a way. It's both eerie and beautiful.

SP

2 comments:

Courtney Rogers said...

Many Doc Savage fans have cited this cover as the worst in the series. Really????

I think the pale yellow logo color and the white title really hurt the cover. But the Pfeiifer painting is excellent, as always.

Dean H. said...

Thanks so much for your website! A longtime Bama fan, I'm just
beginning to realize how amazing Fred's Doc covers are. 'Spook Hole'
and 'Derrick Devil' are my new favorites. Their impressionist style
definitely falls into the category of 'fine art'. Thanks to EBay
dealers, I've been able to obtain some near-perfect Pfeiffer Docs-
the same covers I turned my back on forty years ago. Gee, maybe I've
grown up! Well, not entirely...