the Pfeiffer Pfiles Presents....the Art Work of Artist Fred Pfeiffer

Fred Pfeiffer was an American Artist
He worked as an Illustrator out of N.Y.N.Y. and
L.A. CA. in the late 60's thru the 70's and into the 80's

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Fred Pfeiffer : High Lonesome - 1971

by Louis L'amour
Fred does this novel great
justice with a fabulous cover
illustration.

Masterpiece. The original must be
breath taking. Amazing cover. I
have to wonder what he used to
create the rocks. Really cool art.
One of my very favorite pieces of
art by Pfeiffer!

SP

2 comments:

Courtney Rogers said...

Len Leone had told me that Fred did some Bantam Western covers. I never could find any. But I did suspect that "High Lonesome" might be a Pfeiffer.

In my early emails with Rob Weilert, he told me that Fred had a month in the 1980 Louis L'Amour calendar. I asked him if it could be "High Lonesome", and Rob confrimed this. So I bought the used book the next time I saw it.

I also went on eBay and found an unopened calendar and won it. It came in a cardboard envelope, and I agonized over whether to open it or not...but I had to. Fred'a artwork shows up for September 1980. Fred also re-created the L'Amour portrait on the back of the calendar.

A Bama illustration for "Down the Long Hills" was featured for December 1980. L'Amour has comments that he has that Bama original in his house.

The calendar was published in August 1979.

Rob Weilert said...

I like this picture much better as a vertical composition, just as it appears here on the cover of the L'Amour book.